Sodium Hydroxide CAUSTIC SODA Solution 10%
Regular price £6.98
Molecular formula: NaOH
Sodium hydroxide solution (NaOH) commonly known as caustic soda liquor, is supplied as a 10% by weight solution of pure sodium hydroxide powder dissolved in water. NaOH is a strong alkaline substance that dissociates completely in water to sodium and hydroxyl ions.The solution is slightly viscous and completely miscible with water and alcohols.
Sodium hydroxide is used to manufacture soaps, rayon, paper, explosives, dyestuffs, and petroleum products. It is also used in processing cotton fabric, laundering and bleaching, metal cleaning and processing, oxide coating, electroplating, and electrolytic extracting. It is commonly present in commercial drain and oven cleaners.
Sodium Hydroxide is manufactured by the electrolysis of salt (sodium chloride). Solid sodium hydroxide is obtained from this solution by the evaporation of water.
Sodium hydroxide is used for many applications including:
- In the manufacture of soap. It is used to saponify oils and fats, converting them to the sodium salt of the fatty acid (soap).
- A laboratory reagent. Sodium hydroxide is predominantly ionic, containing sodium cations and hydroxide anions. The hydroxide anion makes sodium hydroxide a strong base (alkali) which reacts with acids to form water and the corresponding salts.
- Cleaning products like Heavy duty degreasers, oven cleaners, parts washers, drain cleaners, Cleaners for milk parlour pipework.
- As a relaxer to straighten hair (For professional use only !!).
- Metal polishes
- Paint & varnish stripping
- Aquarium products
- For Biodiesel Production (addition to methanol to form sodium methoxide)
- Water treatment
- Paper and pulp industries because the substance helps separate cellulose fibers from lignin. The freed cellulose fibers can then be formed into paper.
- NaOH is also used by the drink and beer industry to clean non-disposable bottles.
- It is used to revitalise acids in petroleum refining.
- Manufacture of polymers, rayon, cellophane etc
- It can be used as an additive in drilling mud to increase alkalinity in bentonite mud systems increases the mud viscosity.
- To mercerize cotton in the textile industry.